Licensing and Registration

Licensing and Registration

Obtaining Food License or Registration is the first and foremost step for doing any Food business in India such as manufacturing, processing, packaging, storage, transportation and distribution. The license or registration is granted by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) for all kinds of food business such as manufacturers, importers, re-packers, re-labelers, retailers, caterers, restaurateur, hotelier, wholesaler, storage units, food transporters etc. Understanding the Licensing and Registration regulations from FSSAI can be challenging, and thus FBOs may seek help from the Regulatory consultants for the same.

At CliniExperts, we guide our clients through the entire journey of licensing and registration.

Every food business operating entity in the organizational chain has to obtain a license i.e. central or state depending upon the size and scale of business. A state License is issued by the State Licensing Authorities to FBO’s having a turnover up to 20 crores rupees or certain production capacity as applicable to the business. Online State Licensing is available in 33 States of India. Whereas, a Central License is issued by Central Authority to FBO’s having a turnover greater than 20 crore rupees and includes FBO’s such as all importers, all 100% exporters, all proprietary foods, all defense canteens and food catering premises in the Central Government Agencies.

A separate FSSAI Registration or License is required and issued for each location where food is handled. If FBO is working in more than one state, an additional central license is required. Therefore, a company may have to obtain multiple FSSAI licenses if it operates in multiple locations. But single premise with multiple food business have to take single license or registration.

CliniExperts assist clients in filing the license application (Form B) online, as well as personally submits the documents offline. Through the extensive network and professional liaison with the Regulatory Authorities, CliniExperts help in obtaining quick authorization of the license.

Documents for New License to Central/State Licensing Authority:

  1. Form-B signed and completed (in duplicate) by the proprietor/partner or the authorized signatory.
  2. Blueprint/layout plan of the manufacturing unit showing the dimensions in meters/square meters and operational area allocation (mandatory for all manufacturing and processing units only).
  3. List of Directors/Partner/Proprietor with full address and contact details (for companies only).
  4. Name and list of Equipment and Machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horse power used (for manufacturing and processing units).
  5. Photo ID and address proof issued by Government authority to Proprietor/ Partner/ Director(s)/ Authorized Signatory.
  6. List of food category desired to be manufactured (for manufacturers).
  7. Authority letter with name and address of responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officials in inspections, collection of samples ,packing & dispatch(for manufacturing and processors).
  8. Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as ingredient in food from a recognized/public health laboratory to confirm the portability (required only for manufacturing and processing units only).
  9. Proof of possession of premises (Sale deed/Rent agreement/Electricity bill, etc.).
  10. Partnership Deed/Affidavit/Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm.
  11. Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act-1861/Multi State Coop Act-2002 in case of Cooperatives (wherever applicable).
  12. NOC from manufacturer (mandatory for Re-labelers and Re-packers).
  13. Food Safety Management System plan or certificate (if any).
  14. Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centers in case of milk and milk products processing units (wherever applicable).
  15. Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (Wherever applicable).
  16. Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognized/public health.
  17. Recall plan wherever applicable, with details on which the product is distributed (Optional).
  18. NOCs from Municipality or local body (Optional).
  19. Ministry of Commerce certificate for 100% EOU.
  20. Supporting documentary proof for Turnover.
  21. NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI.
  22. IE code document issued by DGFT.
  23. Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution.
  24. Certificate provided by Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). (Mandatory for Hotel Only)
  25. For Transporters – Supporting documentary proof for Turnover or self-declaration of number of vehicles (Mandatory for Transporter Only)
  26. Declaration Form

With a vast number of documents required, which vary with the nature and kind of business, the process of obtaining FSSAI license is complex and tedious. We at CliniExperts have a systematic checklist based documentation process as per the different kind of businesses. A dedicated team and extensive network to liaison with the Regulatory Authority helps in fulfilling the application and food business operator specific requirement of information and details.

We at CliniExperts have also helped many petty food business operators to get them registered under FSSAI and continue their food business activity at ease.

We at CliniExperts also have services to assist in Modification, Renewal and issue of Duplicate License.

A License or Registration can be applied for a period of one to five years, thus, it requires renewal every time. The renewal has to be filed at least 30 days prior to its expiry, after which a late fee is applicable. The application for renewal cannot be filed after the license or registration has expired.

Food Business Operators shall ensure that the Registering or Licensing Authority always has to have the updated information for their food business establishments and shall inform the relevant Authority of any deviation or additions or changes in product category, layout, expansion, closure, or any other food component information based on which the license was granted and such information shall be conveyed before the changes occur in their business.

CliniExperts provide advisory support to clients globally for Food License and Registration as per the FSSAI Regulations. To avail the Food Regulatory services from us, please do not hesitate to drop us an email on or call us at +91-7672005050.

Call Now