FosCos FSSAI Food License & Registration in India – Form A/B & C


    Grab your FosCos FSSAI Food License registration in India (Form A, B, and C). CliniExperts team has significant experience in assisting a range of Food industry players obtain the Food Regulatory License that is appropriate to the size and nature of their business.

    FSSAI Food License Registration (Form C)– Overview

    As per the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) provisions, an importer or manufacturer who wishes to initiate food business on any premises is required to take  FSSAI license. The importer or manufacturer needs to obtain a Form C to carry out any food-related business. The process for obtaining FSSAI permission is as follows:

    • Collect all the required for obtaining the license.
    • Fill the form B and upload all the necessary documents.
    • After checking the declaration form, go through all the details entered in Form B and submit.
    • Pay the prescribed fees.
    • The acknowledgment number obtained would be used as the number.
    • The applicant can track the progress of their application for the query.
    • Submit the query response, if any.
    • The applicant will obtain the license within 30 days after the last response.

    What is Form A/B and C

    Form Names


    It is required to obtain an FSSAI Registration to initiate food business on any premises.


    It is required to obtain an FSSAI license to initiate food business on any premises.

    Who Can Apply?

    Manufacturers including re-packers for the following manufacturing types:

    • Dairy units, Vegetable oil and processing units, Slaughtering units, Meat processing units, Food or Health Supplements and Nutraceuticals etc., Proprietary food manufacturers, Substances added to food, Manufacturer exporters, 100% export oriented units, Radiation Processing of Food, Non-specified food and food ingredients (after receiving approval from FSSAI)
    Trade/Retail which includes:
    • Storage (Except Controlled Atmosphere and Cold), Storage (Cold / Refrigerated), Storage (Controlled Atmosphere + Cold), Transportation (having a number of specialized vehicles like insulated refrigerated van/ wagon and milk tankers etc.), Wholesaler, Distributor, Retailer, Food vending agencies, Importer, E-commerce, Trader/Merchant-exporter.
    Food Services which includes:
    • Petty Retailer of snacks/tea shops Hawker (Itinerant / Mobile food vendor), Restaurants, Food Vending Establishment, Club/Canteen, Caterer, Hotel, Mid day meal caterer and canteen
    Head office or registered office (If carrying out food business activity in more than one state with same company name. Central Govt. Agencies having Food Catering Services in establishments and units under Central Government Agencies, Storage (Except Controlled Atmosphere and Cold), Storage (Cold / Refrigerated), Storage (Controlled Atmosphere + Cold), Wholesaler, Distributor, Retailer.

    How To Apply?

    FBOs need to file an application depending upon the Kind of business activity, product category and turnover under registration, state license or central license in Form A or Form B as applicable.
    The information about product categories, proof of premise, blueprint of premise, water test report, production capacity, formulation details, memorandum of association, article of association, Certificate of incorporation, Import export Code, list of equipment and machinery, person responsible for food safety and operations, FSMS plan, Recall Plan etc., needs to be uploaded.
    The declaration needs to be submitted for complying with FSSAI regulations and conditions for license.
    FBOs need to revert to FSSAI within 30 days in case any query raised by authority.
    In case of no queries or concerns from FSSAI, the license is granted in Form C within 30-45 days of submission/query response.

    Fee Involved

    INR 100 per year is the registration fee for taking the FSSAI license to begin any food business on any premises whereas INR 2000/ 3000/ 5000 per year are the fees prescribed for obtaining a State License for the food business activities and INR 7500 per year for obtaining Central License.


    Depending upon the fees paid for obtaining an FSSAI license, the license will be approved for one to five years.

    Important Documents

    The following documents are required to be submitted by the applicant for the registration purpose of the FSSAI license:
    List and identity proof of all the directors. The layout or the blueprint of the food premises and pictures of the processing unit. Proof of possession of the processing unit. A list of the names of all the equipment and machinery within the premises. Water test report that is accredited by NABL and a NOC from Central Ground Water Authority. A copy of Form IX (Nomination of Persons by a Company). Partnership Deed/Self Declaration for Proprietorship/Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm The category and details of the food product. The applicant can check the list of documents required as per the category of food on /assets/docs /KoBwiseDocumentsrequiredforLicense.pdf.

    Timeline to get Form C from FSSAI

    The Government Timeline for grant of Form C is 30-45 days.

    Essential Tips

    To avoid any queries, the importer or manufacturer seeking permission for an FSSAI license to start food business activity should ensure the following:

    The category of business and license required are applied correctly.

    The category, details, and end-use of the product should be submitted.

    Address and proof of possession of the premises must be filed in sync as the details do not match most of the time.

    A NABL accredited water test report should not be older than three months.

    The category and ingredients of the food product must be filed correctly as most of the time, the details are inappropriate.

    Expert Advise

    To avoid queries, the importer or manufacturer must submit the correct details as per the product category.

    The importer or manufacturer should also double-check the possession details of the unit and identity proof of all the directors.

    NABL accredited water test report and a NOC from Central Ground Water Authority should be in place before filling out form B.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Do the importer and manufacturer require separate licenses for carrying different food businesses within the same premises?

    No, the applicant must fill out all the details in one form for obtaining an FSSAI license for more than one food product.

    Is it mandatory for the applicant to fill out the details in Form IX (nomination of person)?

    Form IX consists of the details of the head or the person in charge of any establishment, branch, or unit nominated as per the FSS Act and Rules and Regulations. Every licensed food business operator must nominate a person and inform the licensing authority by filing Form IX.

    When the application is sent back for any queries and is required to modify or edit, how should the applicant proceed further?

    The queries listed by the licensing or registration authority would be visible on the dashboard of the applicant. The applicant should respond to these queries within 30 days, or it would lead to the rejection of the application.

    If an applicant needs to run the same food business with the same organization name, which FSSAI license will be required for it?

    If there is more than one manufacturing unit at different locations for the same food business, the applicant must apply for a Central license and a separate License for all the units. The applicant would obtain a license required for each team from the Central or State authorities. The applicant will need a Head Office license if any food business activity is performed on the Registered Office/Head Office premises.

    In case of suspension or cancellation of the license, does the manufacturer need to stop their business?

    In cases of suspension or cancellation of the license, the manufacturer should immediately stop the food business activity as it will be considered unlawful. In such cases, the legal authority would subject the manufacturer to penal actions as the Food Safety and Standards Act (FSS), 2006

    Call Now